3.11.2009

Photo Entry

I guess a week without blogging is a long time, but really, nothing interesting has happened in my life. Things are still going wonderfully with everything, but it's been that way for a long time now. I'll try to add in some fun pictures, how about that?

So my bike-bruise has finally faded a little, but this picture makes it look a lot better than it really was. The light over-exposed it, and it was a lot darker. Much better now, but this is what my leg looked like for a whole week!


Today for our Danish field study, we went to "Assistens Kirkegård", which is a historic cemetery where many famous Danes have been buried. It's located in Nørrebro, which is where all the shootings have been - today we heard a carburetor backfire, which was slightly scary, as a lot of the shootings have happened during the day. Needless to say, our group was a little skiddish after hearing that. Anyway, here are some of the famous graves:


Natasja Saad - a famous Danish singer who combines rap and reggae - one of her famous songs was "Gi Mig Danmark Tilbage" - Give me Denmark Back. It's a song that basically says she misses the old Denmark, filled with openmindedness, and that the youth are getting more wild - strange though, as she's very popular in Christiania, a place where pot is "legal" - or at least openly sold on streets.

Shea and I had to do a short presentation (well, everyone had to do one) on one of the famous people buried in Assistens Kirkegård, and ours was a man named Peter Von Scholten. He was the governor-general of the US Virgin Islands before they were ours - when they were still in the Danes' possession. He actually liberated all of the slaves in 1848, after trying to loosen their burdens with the people of St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John. He had a wife back in Denmark named Anna, and one in the Virgin Islands (at that time, called the Danish West Indies) called Anne. Classy, Peter! Anyway, this is his tomb - or house.
And of course, Hans Christian Andersen is also buried here. His gravestone is modestly small - something I wasn't expecting. Having read many of his biographies, I think he would have prefered one much more like Peter Von Scholten's. (:


Before our study tour, Shea and I met up in Copenhagen to hang out and explore the city some more. We ended up in a church (one that I pass at least bi-weekly) in session. We only stayed for a little while, but it was fun to hear the Danish music, and some of the Danish language used inside the church - despite the fact that we couldn't understand a single word. It was almost empty, and we sat way in the back so we could take a picture or two of the service:


This is one of the streets around Copenhagen - it's pretty standard of a street around the city. Most of them look like this - cobblestone, colorful buildings, "hyggeligt"-looking cafes sprinkled around, and tons, and tons of bikes littering the sides of the road.


Tonight after I got home, Tali and I went around Hvidovre for a short bike ride before dinner. We biked along the sea for a little while, and then through some of the more residential areas in the town. Dinner was salmon, rice, and a quiche that Lene makes - spinach, cheese, and egg - no crust. So I guess it's not really quiche, but it's good.

That's been my day in a nutshell - definitely good, and the sun even came out to
Nørrebro for a little while!

xx

4 comments:

  1. Yayy for a new post! I like to think that I caused this to happen with my pestering IM's. The church looks beautiful, and I love the cute little cobblestone streets. I wish I could come visit you. Also, that is one massive bruise. I don't think I've ever been bruised that badly.

    Speaking of bruises, I just realized the other day that my fencejumpfail resulted in numerous bruises all over my knees + upper legs. Nothing nearly as bad as yours, but I found it entertaining.

    Anyway, I miss you, I'll hopefully catch you online soon <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you like how I said 'while' in every sentence right before the church picture? Probably the most redundant thing I've written in a long time. Perhaps I'll go in and edit my stupidity.

    And yes, I find it entertaining too - maybe that'll teach you not to jump fences at night. I miss you too, and you should get online more often - note that daylight savings has happened in the States, but not in Denmark. Currently (and for the next couple weeks), we're only five hours apart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find it amusing, but I have no recent bruise stories. Soooo instead I'll mention the time I tripped on my pjs and fell down my stairs resulting in a lovely bruise on my bum (it was really classy). Is there a story regarding this giant bruise, because I don't recall hearing one. Also, I just wanted to tell you I think bubbles is asian...
    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, why, does he have ninja-like qualities? There is no story, other than my incompetence at riding a bike...

    My leg just kept hitting the pedals when I got off and on, and I'm stupid. That's the real story.

    Pathetic, I know.

    I miss you, too! Planb got online...now it's your turn. (:

    ReplyDelete