4.01.2009

Freaky-Deaky Chicken Fetish

After a long, LONG wait in the Heathrow Airport, I finally got to my gate...and only got lost once. Luckily someone found me wandering around, because if they hadn't, I would've ended up in South Africa...sweet. Anyway, while I was sitting in the gate, this engaged couple next to me started to argue:

Man: What?? We can't have chicken for the appetizer AND the main course...
Woman: You said we could!
Man: What? Of course I didn't. I also had no idea I was about to marry some girl with a freaky-deaky chicken fetish.

And the fight went on - perhaps for the entire flight, because at baggage, I caught the man muttering something about chicken. Reason for this story? I had written that part of the conversation down in my notebook, because ''freaky-deaky chicken fetish'' is certainly a phrase I never thought I'd encounter.

Anyway, the flight to Ireland was nice. I talked to a very nice man at the gates for a little while, and he suggested that I go West towards Galway while I was visiting, and that Dublin would get old fast...Definitely a true statement. I was completely exhausted after my flight (I don't know why traveling tires me out so much), and wanted to sleep in the first hostel or B&B I came to. After getting turned down from a few places, I was completely relieved to finally find one. At this point, I don't even remember the name - possibly because I'm trying to block out the memory forever.

I asked for a private room (because I wanted to be really well-rested for my first full day of travel by myself), and he said that it would be 60€ - CASH ONLY. I gave him a 50€ and a 20€, but he didn't have change. On my handwritten receipt, he wrote ''IOU 10€ - Peter.'' Great. Frustrated and so tired that I had given up caring, I stormed up to a room where the walls read ''THIS PLACE IS A CRACK DEN'' and ''SARAH + HENRY = LOVE
''... I walked into the bathroom not expecting much - but when I saw it, I realized I had been expecting something SLIGHTLY more. The tiles were coming up off the floor, and underneath was dirt - gross. After a very long night of listening to fighting, sex (and lots of it from not one, but TWO sides of my room), and drunken girls crying, I was ready to leave Dublin on the first train out. When I went to check out of the hostel, I showed the man at the front desk that ''Peter'' owed me 10€ still. ''Sorry miss, but we don't have any change yet.'' After a lot of me grumbling, he told me he would mail it to me. I'm not really expecting to see that 10€ ever again.

After that, I wandered around for a little while and finally got to a train station, where I sat down and started talking to a nice Irish woman whose name I never found out. She, like the man on the plane, told me to go to Galway, and sent me off to the bus station where the tickets would be much cheaper. For 15€, I traveled all the way across Ireland to the most wonderful little city - just three and a half hours. I feel in love with Galway really quickly - it's a beautiful little town all the way west of Dublin. The feel of it is cozy and open...much less stuffy than Dublin...

But let's make this a to be continued entry, because I'm typing on a French keyboard and it's really frustrating - the keys are all funny. This alone has taken me 50 minutes, which is WAY too long, and I officially give up. You'll hear from me again really soon though...it'll probably bother me that this entry is only half done.

Day 10, still alive, and missing you all!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on still being alive...but the lovely place you stayed in Dublin sounds like hell

    ReplyDelete