4.01.2009

Ireland Part II

So this computer just deleted my whole post...and I'd gotten like three days into my journey in Ireland, included with links. Maybe this will have to be a three part entry to finish - dammit.

Alright, starting over then.

On the bus to Galway (Gaillimh in Irlandais), I met a girl named Maria who was from Spain and studying in Dublin to practice her English. She was spending a weekend to see the Cliffs of Moher, and meeting some friends there. She told me about her hostel, and that it would lead me straight to a tour to the cliffs, and that I should check it out.

After the 3.5 hour busride, tired out as usual, I followed her to her hostel, just a two minute walk from Eyre Square (the city center in Galway) which turned out to be a wonderful place - The Kinlay House was voted for the Hostel of the Year in 2007, so I decided that I should make sure to book all three nights in Galway there. I guess I really lucked out, because the first night I stayed, I got the last room. It turned out that my roommates were three guys from Iowa - luckily they were really cool. Tyler, Phil, and Chris are engineer students studying abroad in Cork, Ireland, traveling with two girls, Christina and Liz. They invited me out to dinner with them, and we had a nice evening with great food. It was really nice to have some company, because as I realized, traveling alone can get pretty lonely.

I went back early that night to get some more rest (seriously, bus trips exhaust me), and the next morning, got up to go on a tour of the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher. The tour (check out that link) I went on was absolutely wonderful, and I totally fell completely in love with the western coast of Ireland. It is, without a doubt, the most breathtaking place I have ever seen in my life. I don't regret any of the 20€ for that tour - mainly because that's not that expensive (from 10 - 5:30), and because seriously, it was gorgeous. I had a so much fun, and despite the rain and fog, still thought it was the most beautiful place. I met a girl named Liz on this tour, and when we got back to Galway, we decided to hang out the next day as well, exploring the city.

The city turned out to be lots of fun, and we spent the day wandering around, getting lost - or as lost as you can get in a teeny city - having a wonderful lunch, and shopping. I am now the happy owner of a Claddaugh ring - something I'd never had justification to buy, but now, having been to Ireland, I feel that it's somewhat validated, and a wonderful souvenir. That night Liz and I went out to the bar to meet the locals, other travelers, and have a Guinness - and yeah, it really IS better in Ireland.

It was a lot of fun, and again, nice to have some companionship. The next morning, I checked out of the Kinlay House and headed the 3.5 hours back to Dublin. I went straight to Temple Bar , what I call the Church Street of Dublin (I guess). I actually saw Maria (the girl from my bus TO Galway) in a smal cafe there - tiny world! She doesn't actually even live near Temple Bar. Anyway, it's a great little place, and I found this GREAT hotel for just 50€ a night - Fitzsimmons. Wonderful place, cheap, and they had wake up calls, so I could be on time for my flight to Paris the next morning.

I'll update on Paris in one big entry - because now it's past 1am, and I'm exhausted. I've had a WONDERFUL time in Paris so far, but should have a fairly busy day tomorrow.

Some quick revelations:

In retrospect, traveling by myself to Ireland was a wonderful thing to do. I didn't necessarily enjoy myself the entire time that I was alone, but I learned so much. There were times when it was lonely, times when it was exhausting, times when it was frustrating, times when it was scary, but never a time when it wasn't exciting. So, some final things I've learned:

-To eat alone in a restaurant
-To deal with airports - bookings, tickets, baggage, security, etc., etc., etc.
-To use public transportation with confidence
-To ask directions if lost
-To always carry a book (Currently: The Deptford Trilogy)
-To observe the world quietly, BUT
-To be outgoing
-To make new friends
-That the world is mine - I can travel, I can explore, and I can take my time. No rush.

And with those few, simple thoughts, I'm headed to bed at Oops! Hostel.

Sweet dreams & lots of love from PARIS! (:

4 comments:

  1. Imissyou.

    First things first: I'm proud that you're reading "The Deptford Trilogy."

    Sounds like you're having an amazing time besides the occasional loneliness or traveling alone -- I can't wait to hear about everything in more detail (hint hint when you get back to Denmark we should chat asap so that I can hear about everything in more detail).

    Bus rides tire me out too. I always fall asleep on them -- although most people probably can't tell since I sleep with my eyes halfway open. They probably just think I'm stoned or something.

    I hope Paris is amaaazzzziiinnnggg <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. loneliness of traveling alone**

    gimme a break, it's 6:45 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm kinda jealous/wishing I were traveling with you...and I FINALLY watched all of season 2 of dr. who haha. I think I would have embarrassed myself and cried MORE (yep, you knew I would) if I didn't know that she would show up again in other episodes. But I sorta just realized that this show depresses me...my sister watched it with me and then made fun of me for crying like every episode. I though i should publicly post this, so your fam can also make fun of me.

    Um...I agree with Planb (yep, that's how I'm going to refer to her). When you get back...after you sleep/etc you will need to tell me thing in detail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come back!

    (Or at least come back to a computer.)

    ReplyDelete