2.15.2009

Bartending & Sweden

So Thursday (Torsdag!) really was one of the best nights so far in Copenhagen. Em and I went in for training at 6:00, and figured we'd have some time off in between to do some homework, because our shift didn't start until 9:00. Training was ridiculously easy, but instead of doing homework, we just trained for three hours or so, and hung out behind the bar. Our boss is SO cool, he's from Norway, and totally easy-going.

The perks of this job are awesome - you get seven free beer tickets to use at any time, which includes Carlsberg (whose slogan is "Probably the Best Beer in Denmark" - hilarious), regular draft, shots, and other stuff. A ticket can also get you coffee, tea, or soda during the daytime. While behind the bar, we're allowed to drink as much soda as we want, and if you screw up a beer, you can usually drink that, too. Great life. After shift ends and everyone cleans up, they order you pizza, and between all the staff workers, you get 16 beers.

So anyway, some funny things happened, made some cool friends, just a wonderful time in general. Em and I worked at the door for a little bit, because Thursday through Saturday at Studenterhuset means live music nights (and the night we were working, the music was pretty cool - we met the band and they were REALLY awesome - and really cute!). We managed to have a couple conversations in Danish! Given, they were saying things like, "Har du dit studenterkort?" (do you have your student card?) and "vil det vaere fyrre kroner" (It will be forty DKK). Rewarding experience nonetheless. I can't wait to go back again on the 21st - I signed up with a Emily, Alix (a girl from a couple of my classes), and Trine, a wonderfully sweet Danish girl with whom I have a shopping date.

At the end of the shift, Em and I ran to the night bus, which I hate, and which we had just missed. Seriously, the night bus is my mortal enemy here in Denmark, I DESPISE it. It's scary, difficult to figure out where the stops are, and just ugh, all together just terrible. It only runs every hour on the weekdays, so we had missed it and had to wait for around 30 minutes. We met this really nice couple (though they were HAMMERED), who helped us get home.

Friday night was fun, Em and I went out to Studenterhuset and used some more of our beer tickets - unfortunately we couldn't swing a free pass in by saying we bartended there...damn. I met some cool people - turned out to be a pretty awesome night!

Anyway, on Saturday, Tali and I hopped on the train at 12, got to Central Station, and got tickets to Sweden. Round trip, they were about $30 - which really, it's kind of a rip off, because it's only like a 25 minute train ride.

We went shopping there for a few hours, and definitely enjoyed ourselves - shopping wasn't AS fun as we expected, but we got some pretty cool stuff. I got this ridiculous dress from a little, Italian boutique - it's from Milan, and totally ridiculous. I'm determined to wear it soon - on Wednesday, I'm going on a date to a Thai restaurant that looks kind of informal, but I don't care if I don't fit in, I adore it to pieces...

...And it'll be SO AWESOME with my new leather jacket!! So Justin (if you're even reading this...) - I now have a leather jacket (it's black), and we can make our Dr. Who Halloween epic. Sweeeeet. I look totally badass in it - and LOVE it. It was on sale for about $100USD, so that was really exciting.

Hmm, I bought some other boring stuff, so that's not really relevant, but the rest of Sweden was nice. Tali and I had a fun Valentine's Day together, and went out to a nice little restaurant called the Moosehead, which turned out to be Asian food.



















It was really good...yeah. So then we were exhausted from shopping all day (oh, and the exchange rate is GREAT!), so we decide to go home - plus I had a Valentine's Day date (not that they really celebrate it here) that I had to be on time for. We hopped on the train at around 6:00, because it left for Copenhagen again at 6:02. By 6:18, we hadn't moved, and were, needless to say, concerned. Someone came over the loudspeaker and told us that the train wasn't working, and that we'd have to get off and take a bus to the next stop, and leave for Copenhagen at the next station. So we end up running out to catch the bus, and miraculously squeeze onto the first one. Suddenly, this couple is looking at us frantically, saying "Copenhagen? Are you going to Copenhagen? This is wrong, get off!"

Lunatics. It was totally right. So we get off, realize it was the right bus, and have to wait like, 15 minutes for the next one. Then we ended up on the second bus, and it took like 25 minutes to get there. Tali and I saw the man who'd been giving us direction running down to catch the train to Copenhagen, so we started running, too. We ended up there on time, but didn't get back into Copenhagen until like 7:50. We had JUST missed our train home to Hvidovre, and at night they only come every 20 minutes. The signs read "18 Minutes - Hundige". Damn our lives.

So we didn't get home from Sweden until around 8:30 - I'm definitely mad at Sweden. I think the Danes would be supportive of that, because to them, Sweden is like our Canada. You just make fun of them all the time...it's really funny.

So that was our Swedish adventure, and the fifth country I've been to. I've been completely unproductive this weekend, so even though it's really late my time, I've gotta go do some studying for a test in News Media and Transition tomorrow.

Oh, and here's the dress from Miilan:

I absolutely adore it - and it was supposed to be like, 799DKK or something really high - she gave it to me for 444DKK, which is around $75.

Yes, it's the second dress I've bought here. But I restrained from buying a (third) pair of shoes here - they were stilettos and they had feathers on them. It took a lot of willpower.

So that's about it in my life for now, things are going great. This week should be pretty low-key. I think I might even have this Wednesday off again - that would be more than amazing.

But anyway, I'll finally stop procrastinating from studying, and I'll talk to you all soon - lots of love from Denmark!

1 comment:

  1. Really like the dress! In spite of misadventures, sounds like you had a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete